Sunday, October 12, 2008

These are not Random Thoughts

I don't know what the purpose of this blog is. Not just to offer a few random thoughts. Not to try to comment on great events of the moment, most of which I don't understand. Not to persuade the world of a truth that only I have been able to see. Not to swear at people I dislike. Not to believe the whole world is reading what I write. They are all good reasons for writing a blog, and I may do all of them from time to time, but they are not, I think, the point.

They are some ideas, observations, aperçus, discoveries, verbal felicities and absurdities which it seems a pity not to share with random individuals. They might enjoy them. Better still, they might remark on them and make them more than you realized they were.

So I shall probably place here old and new things which I would like to hear someone's reaction to; old and new writings, odd paragraphs, short stories, essays on various subjects (it's the easiest way to publish, and you don't get rejection slips) things I have been surprised or delighted to discover, and anything else I hope someone, somewhere, might like to know.

To start, I offer the following (because I needed a starting point, and I'm in a hurry): I have an actress friend who speaks of the importance of being oneself. I'm not sure that people who say that know what they mean by it, but assuming she does, does she realize that most people aren't anything in particular, and many of the rest are something you wish they weren't? And that 'being oneself' doesn't put food on your plate?

If you have stumbled across this blog, you probably hoped for something better. But if you stay just long enough to comment, you may inspire me.

No comments: